How Lent Works
During the 46 days
What you’ll do during Lent:
- Pray a holy hour (a minimum of 20 minutes of silent contemplative prayer) daily.
- Abstain from desserts and sweets.
- Abstain from eating between meals.
- Abstain from soda or sweet drinks (white milk, black coffee, and black tea are permissible).
- Get a full night’s sleep (at least seven hours is recommended).
- Practice regular, intense exercise (at least 3 days a week).
- Abstain from video games.
- Abstain from watching television, movies, or televised sports alone.
- Abstain from non-essential material purchases.
- Only listen to music that lifts the soul to God.
- Only use the computer for work, school, or essential tasks (e.g., paying bills).
- Only use mobile devices for essential communications; cut out non-essential texting, app, and internet use.
- Take Wednesdays and Fridays as days of fasting. (Abstain from meat and only eat one full meal, as well as two smaller meals that together are not equal to a full meal.)
- Attend weekly fraternity meeting.
- Check-in with your anchor daily.
And to dust you shall return.
Lent 2021 is a spiritual exercise for men that will immerse you in the Christian life and lead you through likely one of the most fruitful Lenten seasons you have ever experienced. Throughout these 40 days, allow the daily scriptures and reflections provided to be your guide as you begin your disciplined life of prayer, asceticism, and fraternity.